The rules of this game are simple:
- Avoid hearing the song The Little Drummer Boy (LDB) from dawn on November 1 through dawn on December 26. Bonus round is from dawn on December 26 to dawn on January 2.
- “Hearing the song” means any auditory perception of any reproduction of the song, or obvious notes or lyrics from the song. Any notion of sabotage (including self-sabotage) does not make you safe. Examples include humming it to yourself or others, having it play on the radio even if you only hear a second of it, some guy at BART playing it on buckets, some guy at BART whistling it, a car driving by blasting it out their window, or hearing it as part of a tv show or movie.
- Jedi-level players will avoid “hearing” it in their head!
- The game is played on the honor system. You can ask other players their opinion on a ruling, but ultimately, only you know in your heart if you are in or out.
- Tree-in-the-forest ruling: If the song is on, but for one reason or another you do not hear it (meaning you are not consciously aware of the song being on), you are NOT OUT. Example: if you and your partner are at Home Depot and your partner hears it, but you are distracted and do not hear it, your partner is out, but you are not. Play on!